Art Therapy Schools & Programs in Europe, UK

Below is a list of graduate and undergraduate schools and programs in Europe and the United Kingdom. If you know of any schools or programs that should be added to the list, please leave a comment below. We’ll check out the school and add them to the list if appropriate.

Graduate/Undergraduate Schools & Programs in the UK and Europe

Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK

Art Therapy Northern Programme
Contact: Sue Turton
Address: Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust, Fulwood House, Old Fulwood Road, Sheffield, S10 3TH
Phone: (0114) 226 4900
Degrees/Programs: Masters of Arts (MA) in Art Psychotherapy Practice, Master of Arts (MA) in Art Psychotherapy Research

A small number of courses are provided by the Northern Programme which is now based on a partnership between Sheffield Health and Social Care Trust and Leeds Metropolitan University. These courses have a number of innovative features, which build upon more than twenty-five years’ experience of higher education, research and practice in art therapy. Many people well known in art therapy in Britain helped develop the original courses: Dave Edwards, Helen Greenwood, John Henzell, David Maclagan, Professor Joy Schaverien and Dr Chris Wood all worked with Nick Howard to establish the courses at the University of Sheffield.

London, England, UK

Roehampton University in London
Contact: Jonathan Isserow or the Enquiries Team
Address: Erasmus House, Roehampton Lane, London SW15 5PU, England, UK
Phone: Jonathan at +44(0)20 8392 3118 or the enquiries team at +44(0)20 8392 3214
Email: or
Degrees/Programs: Master of Arts (MA) Art Therapy

We are the only institution in the UK offering all of the arts and play therapies (dramatherapy, dance movement therapy, music therapy and play therapy).

Our students go on to become state registered professionals with the Health Professions Council (HPC). Registered practitioners work in a variety of settings including psychiatric hospitals, social services departments, special education, prisons and the voluntary sector.

The MA Art Therapy will equip you with the skills, experience and confidence to work in frequently challenging but ultimately rewarding environments.

Goldsmiths University of London

Contact: No contact name available
Address: Goldsmiths, University of London, New Cross, London SE14 6NW, England, UK
Phone: + 44 (0)20 7919 7171
Degrees, Programs and Available Courses:

  • Introduction to Art Therapy Workshop
  • Art Therapy Summer School
  • Foundation Course in Art Psychotherapy
  • Art & Therapy Workshop
  • The Practice & Experience of Art Therapy
  • Master of Arts (MA) Art Psychotherapy
  • MRes in Art Psychotherapy
  • MPhil & PhD in Art Psychotherapy/Dance Movement Therapy
  • Short courses

Derby, England, UK

University of Derby at Britannia Mill, Derby
Contact: No contact name available
Address: Derby, England, Derby, DE22 1GB, UK
Phone: +44 (0)1332 590500
Degrees/Programs: Master of Arts (MA) Art Therapy (incorporating PG Cert/PG Dip)

This programme reinforces the centrality of the image and the role of the imagination in the practice of art therapy.

It places emphasis on preparing you to work in clinical environments and developing the professional skills you’ll need.

The course comprises an extended period of independent scholarship aimed at helping you synthesise your learning from all areas of the course to develop your clinical reasoning and professional identity.

Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK

University of Hertfordshire
Contact: No contact name available
Address: Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL10 9AB UK
Phone: +44 (0)1707 284000
Degrees/Programs: Master of Arts (MA) Art Therapy

Musselburgh, Midlothian, UK

Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Contact: The Admissions Office
Address: Queen Margaret University Dr, Musselburgh, Midlothian EH21 6UD, UK
Phone: 0131 474 0000
Degrees/Programs: Master of Science (MSc) Art Therapy

This Art Therapy programme is responsible for the delivery of the first postgraduate Art Therapy course in Scotland and the first MSc in Art Therapy award in Europe. Staff have excellent international links and have been involved in collaborative projects with other European institutions of higher education.


  1. Cathryn says

    Here in the UK, it is required that you study at one of 6 postgraduate programs approved by the Health Professions Council in order to practice. Art Therapist and Art Psychotherapist are protected titles here and it is illegal to call yourself one if you are not registered with the HPC.

    I am currently studying at Sheffield and cannot recommend the program highly enough. I will begin my clinical practice in the next month and I am very much looking forward to it.

  2. gretna says

    hi im looking for an online art therapy course – im from south africa and we do not have any courses over here – can someone help please – i have a diploma in fine art
    thanks so much

    • Ansu says

      hi! I am also from SA and am currently doing art therapy course through Art Therapy Academy… the only one I could find in SA.
      Have you found anything online…?

  3. says

    hi meghan,i’m interesting in art therapy too but in romania can’t do the course,i go to that link you told gretna and could’nt find a long distance course…do you know where can i search for it?


  4. Laura says

    Hi there,
    I would like to make a donation and als volunteer at a suitable Art Therapy charity or institution in London, UK. I have no idea where to get started. Who are reputable companies I could make a donation to?


  5. says

    Do these Art Therapy courses allow one to study abroad?
    I’m planning on going for my Masters here in America, and I was hoping to study abroad. Would be great if it were for Art Therapy classes!

  6. Diana says

    Hi, One more school to add (not sure in terms of accreditations) would be The Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education in London.

    Hope this helps someone. I have been recommended this school by a very good child therapist.

  7. sara says

    could you please assist me to find a postgraduate school for Art therapy? I’m desperately looking for help as I ‘ve got confused in the process of opting the appropriate school in London or Europe.

  8. Katrina Harris says

    Hi, I have been looking to start an MA at Goldsmiths and have been getting the hours experience required to get onto the course. I have been working as a Care Worker for a year and a half, volunteering at a Sue Ryder Hospice running workshops and helping out in the art room in between. I have a First Class honours in Fine Art, but am terrified of being turned down for not having the experience. If anyone can help out I would be so grateful – it has been a long few years getting the hours down, with little time to do my own work which is now seriously neglected! Can anyone help with questions that may be asked at interview, how much they expect from a portfolio of own work, and if I (finally!) have enough experience?

    Thank you for any comments or help at all!

  9. dani says


    there’s also the IATE school in London that combines several expressive form of art.
    I really liked their website and their philosophy. Does anyone know about this school?

  10. dani says

    just learned that Diana’s link is the same school I ws talking about in my previous post: IATE institute. :) The only problem is that the school lasts 4 years basically, even if on a very part time schedule…

  11. Terka says


    I would like to know something about other European countries… I’m particularly interested in dance therapy. Do you know where they have such a program? Or do you know what type of art therapy can be studied in Switzerland?

    Thank you

  12. Tülay Araz says

    I’m a painter living in Istanbul, Turkey.
    Do you know and art therapy courses on line or short courses directly where I can learn this process?
    thank you very much for your reply

  13. Michelle says

    Hi All,

    I’m currently in school to get a Master’s in Art Therapy at a school in America. I am interested in doing a study abroad in England. Does anyone recommend any schools? I would welcome any advice on studying abroad in general. Thanks so much!


  14. Alba says


    about studying in Switzerland and dance therapy.

    TAMALPA INSTITUTE (Daria&Anna Halprin, there is a very good doc “Breath made visible” you can watch) They have another branch in Argentina.

    ISIS Institute in Zürich, Switzerland about mouvement, dance&art therapy (but the language is GERMAN I guess…)Ithink a good school…
    These centers and some others over the world are linked to EUROPEAN GRADUATE SCHOOL CHECK IT OUT!!
    a very goooooood place to study but very expensive…..
    so TAMALPA, ISIS, TAE (Peru), L´Atelier (Geneva, Switzerland.Tuition is in french) and some more are all part of EGS but offer less expensive Master programs…

    I will go travelling next months but planning to start ArtTherapy in Sep´11 or early ´12…I couldn´t take a decission yet where to do it…any suggestion or recomendation is appreciated!



  15. Noleen says

    I live in South Africa. I am interested in Dance Therapy and would like to find an online or correspondence course as I cannot travel or relocate. I have a PhD in Psychology. I am a qualified and registered (licensed to practise) Social Worker. I am a qualified and registered (both in Scotland and South Africa) Highland Dance teacher. My interests are trauma, bereavement, grief, disability, and children with special learing needs.

  16. Mariet says

    Hi every one from every where,
    It seems South Africa is full of potential expressive art therapists. Could any one get contact details for a correspondence/web based course in expressive art therapy or art therapy yet?
    Would love to also receive the information.

  17. Lidia Azevedo says

    Hi! Im looking for a Master’s Degree in Arts Therapy or Psychotherapy in Scandinavia (any country would do, but preferently Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway… not Iceland…)
    But I’m not findind anything!! :(
    Thank you so much for any information…
    Best regards,

  18. Ana Laura Tuya says

    Hi! I live in Argentina, but I´m planning to move to geneva in the next months. I have a degree in Psychopedagogy, and I´m looking for a master degree in dance movement therapy in switzerland, more precisely in Geneva (if it´s possibe), or in Fance. It would be great if someone could provide me any information!!

    Thanks a lot!


  19. Anna Boam says

    Hey! Does anyone have any information about studying in the UK and then working in Europe? Norway specifically but information on anywhere is helpful.

    I have a place in Sep at a UK course but would like to live elsewhere eventually.



  20. Christy says

    Hi~ I am from Hong Kong. There is no master in Art Therapy here. I want to get an master in UK/ Australia. However, my bachelor degree is in Biochemistry instead of any subjects in Arts/ Psychology. Is there any way for me to get into this field? Is Pg Dip useful in getting in master in Art Therapy or it is not a must? Thanks!

  21. says

    Hi, I am from Italy. There is no master in Art Therapy here….or not? thanks for help in information!

  22. ELIZABETH says


  23. Laurel says


    I’m from Trinidad W.I. I’m a high school art teacher with a BA in Visual Arts and I really want to further my studies in art therapy, however, it is not offered here in my country or in any other part of the Caribbean region as a masters programme. I really need some help in finding a suitable school in either the UK or Australia.

  24. Sayalee Phatak says

    Hi.. i have completed my masters in clinical psychology and have been practicing theater for the past six years. I am interested in a drama therapy course in Europe or UK.Please could you suggest something suitable?? Thank you.

  25. Melissa says


    I am also South African and looking for for formal correspondence schooling in art therapy… any information and or direction would be great!

  26. Megan says

    hi there,
    also a South African very keen to get into art therapy. Any other South Africans had any luck?

  27. Ioanna Kertsou says

    I am Ioanna from Greece and I am planning to do my masters in Art Therapy. I have a major in Psychology and a minor in Art History and I would like to ask whether you could recommend me a university with a masters program in art therapy in Berlin!! Looking forward for your answer!! Thank you

  28. Ciska says

    Hi there, I’m also from South africa and would love to study towards art therapy. What is the entry requirements and what is our options of studying this e.g. long distance? How long is the course and could someone of the accredited universities not please think of presenting this training formally in south africa?

  29. Kanelle says


    I’m french and i’m really interested in Art-therapy. I’m, for now, studying psychology in The University Of Mont-Saint-Aignan, in Rouen but, at least, I’d like to study Art-thérapy. Anyway. I’ve done many prospections last year about where to study Art therapy and thus, I know there is different courses offered in France. You can study Art-therapy in a school in Tours,you can study it at University, in Paris Descartes (La Sorbonne) and I’ve learned not a long time from now that a MA opened this year in La Sorbonne, Paris 3 . I thought I could give you this informations about the Art therapy’s schools in Europe!

  30. Clara says

    Hi, I’m an Italian clinical psychologist, and I have been working in the international cooperation.
    I’m looking for an online course. I checked the one on Saint-Mary of the Woods, but I’m not convinced.
    Is there any new online course you can recommend?
    Thank you

  31. Dyanne says

    Hi all,

    I’m also from South Africa looking for a way to study Art Therapy – seems to be a hothouse of potential therapists (and the perfect place to practice) but I haven’t been able to track down any useful information.

    I also wasn’t convinced by the one online offering on the list of schools – sounded like it was only partially online.

    If anyone has managed to find anything online or knows of some sort of training facility in SA, I’d greatly appreciate the help!

    Thanks :)

  32. Linda says

    I have applied to some art therapy masters courses in the UK and now have the task of choosing which course to do. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding MSC vs MA and any particular Uni’s in the UK that are reknowned for their course?

    Many thanks

  33. hannah says

    hi, i am looking to do the art therapy masters at Chester Uni, UK and the art psychotherapy masters at Sheffield, UK. Does anyone have any advice to offer, in terms of the interview process and the course. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks,

  34. Sonya rademeyer says

    Hi, ANOTHER South African looking to pursue art therapy via distant-learning! Perhaps its the trauma we’re surrounded by daily..

    Just wondering if Dyanne (or any other South Africans) have managed to access something. Please let me know??


  35. Rona says

    Well I’m surprised to see how many South Africans are wanting to qualify as Art Therapists, and still no luck?? I’ve been spending hours on the internet searching for anything helpful, please let us know if someone has found any way of qualifying at all!!

  36. Laurianne says

    I’ve noticed a number of South African’s are interested in doing DMT through distance learning,this is also an area of interest for me. Has anyone heard anything yet, or of courses that can be done in South Africa?

    I can’t find anything on the internet regarding distance learning.

  37. eftichia says

    i have a degree in applied mathematics with a direction in education and i am very interested in art therapy and especially art therapy for children!
    I was wondering if anyone could help me.
    I would love to take some master-courses-workshop-seminar in London or Berlin!!
    thank you

  38. jaletta says


    Guess what. Another South African. I have honours in BA theatre Studies and an Undergrad in Phi which will assist me greatly. I however would be willing to move to the UK/states or Europe to do this degree. However I would need financial support.
    Does anyone know of where and how I can apply as a foreign student needing funding.

    I feel I may prefer Europe but if those already studying can give use a little feed back on how they experiencing the degree so we can get an idea of what the places are like.


  39. Mohamed says

    Again, a South African in possession of an MA -Art History & Aesthetics Degree, with 25 years of local and international Art teaching experience, desperately searching for any recommended MA or Post MA Degree course in Art Therapy, preferably a long distance/correspondence programme. Recommended universities -Study Fees and Scholarship details would be appreciated.

    Any help would be appreciated

  40. Gwen says

    Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh EH21 6UU – Tel: +44 (0)131 474 0000

    Art Psychotherapy
    Art Therapy involves the use of art materials for self-expression and reflection in the presence of a State Registered Art Therapist. Previous experience and/or skill in art is not required as the overall aim of Art Therapy is to enable a client to effect change and growth on a personal level through the use of art materials in a safe and facilitating environment. Art Therapy offers an opportunity for expression and communication and can be particularly helpful to people who find it hard to express their thoughts and feelings verbally.

    MSc Art Psychotherapy (International)
    Queen Margaret University offers an MSc Art Psychotherapy (International) pre-registration programme which requires students to undertake practice based placements.

    How to contact us:
    All enquiries in the first instance should be directed to Xanthe Duncan via email
    More Information
    • General Resource Links
    • MSc Art Psychotherapy
    Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh EH21 6UU – Tel: +44 (0)131 474 0000

  41. angie says

    i am a psychologist in greece and i m interested in studying a master of art you know any distant ,online graduate programme in europe?i dont manage to find any..

  42. T says


    I’m looking to study Art (Drama) therapy in Ireland or Scotland ? I’ve seen Master of Art/Post graduate (approx. 2 years) in these countries but not Bachelor of Art/Graduate (approx. 4years) courses unfortunately. Does somebody else have more information on these or can proof my research wrong?????
    Much appreciated!

  43. Nicole says

    I m looking for online courses in art therapy in uk.i live in dubai .i contacted several universities but no online courses so far. Could anyone help me .

  44. Sharon Lee says


    Im a Singaporean and I will be graduating next year with a Bachelor of Science in Business. Im planning to take up a Masters in Art Therapy after i graduate and i want to do it in Europe, preferrably in Paris. Can someone please advise me on the available graduate schools and the prerequisities? Thanks!

  45. Monica Becerra says

    I really want to be a clinical art therapist. I am currently finishing up my general ed at Riverside City College in California and taking core classes for Studio Art and Psychology. Is there classes I need to complete before transferring to any of the universities mentioned above? Also, when can I start applying?

  46. Hannah Rapp says

    Hi all! I am in my last semester of undergrad and am thinking of where to get a masters in art/expressive therapy. I am from the states but I have an open mind to studying anywhere (preferably in europe with an english-speaking program). However, I was not sure if I needed a certification from the states or if I could work anywhere around the world even if I graduate from a european university. I hope that makes sense. Please help!
    All best

  47. marily says

    Hello,I’m looking for a online master in art psychotherapy from anywhere in the world,as long as it is accredited.
    Do you know if there is any art therapy masters degree that is distance learning?

    Thank you!

  48. L says

    Yet another South African here interested in Art Therapy.

    Of the 10 accredited schools in the UK could anyone advise one in particular that stands out above the rest? Or advise from personal experience about a course they are on?

    The 10 schools are

    Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education (IATE)

    If anyone could share their experiences or opinions I would greatly appreciate it.


  49. Chris says

    Hi Choosing what and where to study is a personal choice

    In my opinion and only my opinion, I would expect the universities to provide the best quality AT courses within the uk ‘would’ be the 4 universities at which AT accreditation courses were first offered.

    I’d expect they have continuously developed their wealth of Knowledge, practices, theories, resources, connections ect; the original 4 unis being-
    London goldsmiths, Edinburgh, Sheffield, derby,

    -the art therapy course offered at Chester university is relatively new to Chester. However it is an officially recognised AT course.

    As an alternative, University central Lancashire runs a MA in art health, this does not result in BAAT AT qualification, it has the possibly of leading to employment in –

    Inter-agency Training Managers for criminal justice, health, and social services.
    Arts-Health Officers.
    Arts-Health Consultants.
    Community Managers.
    Specialist Teachers.
    Project Managers.
    Workshop Facilitators: ((ie in music, drama, visual arts, sensory arts, video, animation etc) for example working with disabled children, learning disabled adults, or with homeless people, etc.)
    Lead Artists: commercial arts with mental health patients.
    Community Artists: participatory arts with young offenders.
    University Lecturers.
    Postdoctoral Researchers.

    Good luck to everyone

  50. pat england says

    I live in Northern Ireland and would appreciate any information regarding Art Therapy courses there.I am a Registered Nurse and wondered if my experience and qualifications would reduce study time

  51. rhea says


    i am trying to find any english taught art therapy Bachelors in the Netherlands. If you got any info on that i would be grateful because so far i only find dutch taught bachelors. I also wanted to ask if attending art therapy workshops actually qualifies for getting a degree in art therapy. My issue is working on the subject afterwards and the problems i might meet if i lack a university degree.

    Thank you!

  52. ana says

    Hello,i have seen that youare asking for some advice in art therapy courses in netherlands,i was wondering if you had found any info so far,will be awsome to know it 😉

    Thanks a lot


  53. Deb says

    I’m not sure but is it not a requirement that a person has a master’s level degree to legally practice as an art therapist in the United Kingdom? Does anyone know information that contradicts that. Since that is a regulated health profession, I thought that the minimum requirements for licensure were set by the HCPC.

  54. Deb says

    I’m not sure but is it not a requirement that a person has a master’s level degree to legally practice as an art therapist in the United Kingdom? Does anyone know information that contradicts that. Since that is a regulated health profession, I thought that the minimum requirements for licensure were set by the HCPC.

  55. Dionisia Pareklidi says

    goodmorning,i am from Greece,i have a bachelor in Nursing and i want to do a master in Art Therapy in Europe,except from England,for years you know if there is something..thanks in advance.

  56. Anli Mare says

    Hi there I am a South African 3rd year Fine Arts student, and will be finishing my honours next year. Currently there is no place in SA where one can study art therapy, what would you recommend… Also is there any english courses on art therapy in germany, since my soon to be husband is german…

  57. Janelee Lombard says

    Yet another South-African looking for a way to study Dance Therapy correspondence as I am not able to travel. Please advice!

  58. Son says


    I would appreciate it if anyone has any information on a long distance or online course on Art Therapy in the UK. It doesn’t matter if a number of credits need to be done at the university. And I presume that it would be essential, since workshops in art therapy are important. And I’m willing to do that. So any information would be greatly appreciated.


  59. kik says

    I’m debating which university to go to in the UK for studying Art therapy. at the moment I have considered Goldsmith’s College, University of Roehampton and Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh.
    Does anyone have any idea of those courses ?
    I really am having difficulties to make dicisions.
    Thank you !

  60. Lynsey says


    As mentioned already by others, in the UK (at least) you would be required to study an approved University post-graduate course in order to work as an Art Therapist or Art Psychotherapist.

    BUT, if you are looking for an introductory course, or are resident in a country where this is not required, then you might be interested to know about the World Education University’s FREE on-line Art Therapy courses. See The University is USA-based, but courses are freely available world-wide.

  61. Sisi Burn says

    Hi, You should definitely have Tobias School of Art and Therapy on this list. I have just started there. It is a holistic approach and based on the Rudolf Steiner philosophy.
    See a very worth while alternative for a different approach.

  62. Bantu Mtshiselwa says

    Greetings My Name is Bantu Mtshiselwa from South Africa,I wish to study art Therapy in Europe in any of these countries:belgium,enmark,sweden,rance,switzerland,
    Im looking for an good institution to go to as we don’t have art therapy in south Africa and possible scholarships. I have a bachelors degree in fine art majoring in Ceramic Design( CumLaude). Thank you.

  63. Maria says


    I would love study in art-therapy in Europe. I am from Canada. What do I need to have exactly, to become an art-therapist? I am an artistic person and have experiences that I have from Canada.
    Thank you to help me!


  64. Deepa says

    hi there, i am also south african but i really would love to complete a masters in art therapy or expressive art therapy. Which school is internationally accredited in the uk? If you have any information or tips as an international student, i would greatly appreciate all the hep i can get.
    Thank you,
    Deepa :)

  65. Eri says

    hi!!! i am looking for a master’s degree in dramatherapy but i only came up with these in UK . Does anyone knows if there is one for example in the Netherlands?

    Thank you , Eri

  66. Taylor says

    I’m an undergrad currently, but seriously looking into art therapy. The UK definitely seems to have more resources and research done, with mood disorders especially, and it could be a great place to study later on. Any thoughts?

  67. Barbara says

    Hi! I’m looking for a summer school in art therapy in UK , but not too expensive… any advice?

  68. bergsop says


    I just wanted to say that there are a lot of different possibilities in Europe if you want to study creative therapy. Not only in the UK, but also in the Netherlands (Nijmegen and Arnhem) for example. It might be interesting for people to also look into universities or academies apart from those in the UK.

Leave a reply