*Updated October 24, 2011
Check back for upcoming art therapy scholarship and grant information. If you know about any grants or scholarships, please email us at arttherapyblog(at)gmail(dot)com.
- Society for the Arts in Healthcare Student Scholarship (Deadline October 31)
- American Art Therapy Association Scholarship (Deadline May 1, 2012)
- Gladys Agell Award for Excellence in Research (Deadline May 1, 2012)
Society for the Arts in Healthcare Student Scholarship
For all our student readers and anyone that knows a student, the following scholarship was sent to us by the Society for the Arts in Healthcare. (quicklink to application form)
Student Scholarship Guidelines
To offer an annual scholarship to one Society for the Arts in Healthcare undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral student member who has made a contribution to the field of arts in healthcare or shows significant interest in the field of arts in healthcare as a future career
- $1,000 scholarship to support education in an arts in healthcare curriculum, made possible by the generous support of Tina S. Lassiter
- Award announcement posted on the Society’s website and Facebook page
- To be considered, applicant must be a current student member of the Society for the Arts in Healthcare in good standing, and must show documentation of at least part-time enrollment in an accredited institution.
- Applicant should demonstrate specific contributions to the field of arts in healthcare through the development of student activities, community outreach, and/or similar actions that either support the integration of the arts into the healthcare experience or show significant interest in the field.
- Current board members, employees, or interns of the Society are not eligible.
- Previous recipients of this award are not eligible.
- There are no restrictions regarding race, gender, nationality, geographic location, or religious or political views.
- The application criteria and process will be promoted to membership and posted on the Society’s website (Student page) and Facebook page by September 1st each year.
- Applications must be submitted electronically, along with all supporting materials, no later than October 31st each year. The email address is listed on the application form below.
The following materials must be sent electronically to the Society as noted above. Preferred file formats are *.doc or *.pdf. All materials should be submitted in English.
- Application Form (Application form must be completed in full.)
- Personal Statement: The personal statement should include a list of the individual’s accomplishment(s) as a student and briefly address the following questions (please limit statement to 600 words):
- What is your interest in the arts in healthcare, including past and present involvement in the field?
- What future contribution(s) would you like to make to the arts in healthcare field?
- What are your thoughts about the future of this field?
- Supporting Materials
- References. Please list contact information for two references who can speak to your personal and professional attributes.
- Proof of Enrollment. Please submit current proof of enrollment as a part- or full-time student, such as a copy of an official current class schedule, a transcript (official or unofficial), or verification on school letterhead from a current counselor or academic advisor (with contact information).
- The applications will be reviewed by the members of the Awards Committee.
- Applications will be judged according to creativity, uniqueness, and ability to implement thoughts and ideas regarding the future of this field.
- The Awards Committee will select the final scholarship recipient in January of each year.
- Scholarship recipient will be notified of the award by February 1st of each year.
You can find out more about the scholarship and The Society for the Arts in Healthcare here: http://www.thesah.org/template/page.cfm?page_id=753
American Art Therapy Association 2010 Scholarship
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DIRECTIONS
In order to apply for scholarship awards, applicants must be a member of the American Art Therapy Association. Awards are granted only to active *student members of the Association and those who have been accepted or are attending an American Art Therapy Association approved Graduate Art Therapy Program.
*One award (Pearlie Roberson Award) is open to both Student and Professional Member Applicants.
May 1, 2012 is the deadline for applying (postmark or email) for all applications. Incomplete application packets and those postmarked or emailed after May 1st will not be considered.
Scholarships are awarded in November each year at the American Art Therapy Association Annual Conference. Winning recipients are notified in the fall about the decision on their application.
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE, ALL APPLICATION PACKETS MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- One (1) Application form indicating which scholarship(s) applicant is applying.
- One (1) official academic transcript indicating most recent university enrollment (Transcripts must be sent to the Association directly from the respective University or by the applicant in an unopened official University envelope that has been sealed by the University. Be sure that you allow sufficient time for the transcript request from your University. No exceptions to this policy will be permitted).
- Two (2) academic or work-related signed letters of recommendation.
- One (1) student financial information form.
- One essay, limited to two (2) double spaced typed pages that includes a brief biography and a statement of how you see your role in the future as an art therapist.
- Documentation of acceptance or enrollment in an American Art Therapy Association approved art therapy program. (A list of approved programs may be found on the web site in the Career Center at http://www.arttherapy.org/aata-careercenter.html).
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS (PLEASE READ):
- The applicant is responsible for sending the student financial information form to the appropriate institutions.
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring all documents (application, *transcripts, *letters of recommendation, *financial aid form, essay, and school acceptance/attendance documentation) are received by the Association by the deadline. If possible, all documents should be included in one application packet and sent to:
American Art Therapy Association
Attn: Scholarship Applicant
225 North Fairfax Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
*Official transcripts must be requested by the applicant and may be sent to the applicant for inclusion in the consolidated Application Packet sent to the Association in an unopened official University envelope that has been sealed by the University, or may be sent directly to the American Art Therapy Association Office by the school.
Letters of recommendation must be requested by the applicant, signed by the letter writer and may be sent to the applicant for inclusion in the consolidated Application Packet, or sent directly to the Association by the letter writer.
Financial information forms must be requested by the applicant and may be sent to the applicant or the Association by the school. Transcripts, Recommendation Letters and the financial information form are the only documents that may be sent separately from the Application Packet. However, if possible, the applicant should collect all documents and send as noted above as one packet.
If you have questions, email the AATA National Office at email@example.com. You can see previous winners at www.americanarttherapyassociation.org.
Gladys Agell Award for Excellence in Research
- The researcher must be a student member of the American Art Therapy Association, Inc.
- An art therapist must be the principal investigator.
- The study must be conducted in the area of applied art therapy research.
- The research design must use a statistical measure.
- The research must be student work completed within the past year.
- The financial award is $250.00.
- The research results will be made available to members of the American Art Therapy Association, Inc. The method of dissemination will be determined by the Association Research Committee.
- The submission must adhere to APA publication guidelines.
- The deadline for submission of papers to be considered for this award will be April 1 of the year following graduation (both May and December graduates may submit papers by April 1 of the following year).
- The Research Committee will review submissions and determine the winner prior to the annual conference.
- The name of the winner will be announced, and the award presented at the Awards Ceremony at the annual conference.
- Please click here for the application.