Comments on: Art Therapy Schools & Programs in Europe, UK Inspiring others to create. Wed, 09 Aug 2017 23:41:33 +0000 hourly 1 By: Jp Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:48:51 +0000 Hello
I have a BFA and worked almost 10 years in the arts and advertising field . I’d like to study art therapy in either the Netherlands or Scandinavia. Please advise how I may go about this — do I need to rewind and do an entire bachelors in psychology? Or can I pick up where I left off and complete a masters in the art therapy field? It seems like In the US is more complicated. But I am not sure. Most information I find is not very directing and rather abstract;)

By: Glòria Martí Rubí Tue, 29 Dec 2015 20:41:32 +0000 Hi,,
I am from Barcelona.
I would like to work in Dublin as a volunteer in art therapy. In return, I only need a place to sleep in this city during the month of May.
I also like to meet some school for further studies on this topic in this month.
Ihave intermidiate English and French level. I can do linguistic exchange in Spanish and Catalan.
 I would like to meet public schools where art therapy is used. It is interesting to my reserche.
I graduated in Fine Arts. I have a master degree in artterapìa and other in NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming).
I worked for 20 years in a high school as an art teacher.


By: Ka Sat, 19 Dec 2015 06:58:52 +0000 Hi, I live in Germany at the moment and would love to do an online course in art therapy. Could you kindly provide more information ? Thanks

By: Jamie Cho Wed, 04 Nov 2015 05:08:15 +0000 I live in Seattle and I am currently searching for school options for MA Art Therapy programs. If I study and become licensed as an art therapist in the UK, can I still practice in the U.S. or do I have to go through a separate schooling and license process in the U.S.?

I want to be able to work overseas once I become an art therapist, but I am not sure what takes to work overseas as an art therapist. Should I study in the U.S. and get licensed here? or is there more to achieve in order to practice overseas?

By: Lana Fri, 04 Sep 2015 12:49:14 +0000 Hi,
Did you receive any information on MAs in Expressive Arts Therapy in SA or the UK? Please share as I am also interested.

By: Lana Fri, 04 Sep 2015 12:47:30 +0000 Hi,
I am interested as well in Dance Therapy. Did you find any information for programs?

By: Deanna Miesch Fri, 21 Aug 2015 05:58:59 +0000 As there were a number of folks from South Africa on this post, I thought I would leave this link for an art therapist working in Cape Town who is partnering with an Art Therapy program in Cork, Ireland.

There is also a newer online program in the states:
Edinboro University, Edinboro, PA

Interesting to see how much demand there is around the world for Art Therapy training that the comment section on this webpage has become a clearing house of sorts. Good luck everyone!
D.Miesch, Austin, TX

By: Kim Alexander Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:24:07 +0000 Another hugely respected school for Art Therapy diplomas and Masters is the Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education in London, UK:

By: Kristina Mon, 22 Jun 2015 12:56:35 +0000

By: Ansu Mon, 23 Mar 2015 21:07:47 +0000 hi! I am also from SA and am currently doing art therapy course through Art Therapy Academy… the only one I could find in SA.
Have you found anything online…?

By: bergsop Sat, 10 Jan 2015 11:59:58 +0000 Hi!

I just wanted to say that there are a lot of different possibilities in Europe if you want to study creative therapy. Not only in the UK, but also in the Netherlands (Nijmegen and Arnhem) for example. It might be interesting for people to also look into universities or academies apart from those in the UK.

By: Barbara Sun, 04 Jan 2015 16:18:23 +0000 Hi! I’m looking for a summer school in art therapy in UK , but not too expensive… any advice?

By: Taylor Sun, 02 Nov 2014 23:37:14 +0000 I’m an undergrad currently, but seriously looking into art therapy. The UK definitely seems to have more resources and research done, with mood disorders especially, and it could be a great place to study later on. Any thoughts?

By: Eri Wed, 10 Sep 2014 14:49:26 +0000 hi!!! i am looking for a master’s degree in dramatherapy but i only came up with these in UK . Does anyone knows if there is one for example in the Netherlands?

Thank you , Eri

By: Deepa Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:25:53 +0000 hi there, i am also south african but i really would love to complete a masters in art therapy or expressive art therapy. Which school is internationally accredited in the uk? If you have any information or tips as an international student, i would greatly appreciate all the hep i can get.
Thank you,
Deepa 🙂

By: Maria Sat, 19 Apr 2014 04:39:52 +0000 Hi,

I would love study in art-therapy in Europe. I am from Canada. What do I need to have exactly, to become an art-therapist? I am an artistic person and have experiences that I have from Canada.
Thank you to help me!


By: Bantu Mtshiselwa Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:11:14 +0000 Greetings My Name is Bantu Mtshiselwa from South Africa,I wish to study art Therapy in Europe in any of these countries:belgium,enmark,sweden,rance,switzerland,
Im looking for an good institution to go to as we don’t have art therapy in south Africa and possible scholarships. I have a bachelors degree in fine art majoring in Ceramic Design( CumLaude). Thank you.

By: Sisi Burn Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:24:52 +0000 Hi, You should definitely have Tobias School of Art and Therapy on this list. I have just started there. It is a holistic approach and based on the Rudolf Steiner philosophy.
See a very worth while alternative for a different approach.

By: Lynsey Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:10:07 +0000 Hi,

As mentioned already by others, in the UK (at least) you would be required to study an approved University post-graduate course in order to work as an Art Therapist or Art Psychotherapist.

BUT, if you are looking for an introductory course, or are resident in a country where this is not required, then you might be interested to know about the World Education University’s FREE on-line Art Therapy courses. See The University is USA-based, but courses are freely available world-wide.

By: burcu Sun, 09 Jun 2013 17:33:31 +0000 hi! is there any art theraphy MA program in Germany?

By: kik Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:38:21 +0000 I’m debating which university to go to in the UK for studying Art therapy. at the moment I have considered Goldsmith’s College, University of Roehampton and Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh.
Does anyone have any idea of those courses ?
I really am having difficulties to make dicisions.
Thank you !

By: Son Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:28:13 +0000 Hi,

I would appreciate it if anyone has any information on a long distance or online course on Art Therapy in the UK. It doesn’t matter if a number of credits need to be done at the university. And I presume that it would be essential, since workshops in art therapy are important. And I’m willing to do that. So any information would be greatly appreciated.


By: Janelee Lombard Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:38:40 +0000 Yet another South-African looking for a way to study Dance Therapy correspondence as I am not able to travel. Please advice!

By: Anli Mare Tue, 20 Nov 2012 05:24:48 +0000 Hi there I am a South African 3rd year Fine Arts student, and will be finishing my honours next year. Currently there is no place in SA where one can study art therapy, what would you recommend… Also is there any english courses on art therapy in germany, since my soon to be husband is german…

By: Dionisia Pareklidi Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:58:46 +0000 goodmorning,i am from Greece,i have a bachelor in Nursing and i want to do a master in Art Therapy in Europe,except from England,for years you know if there is something..thanks in advance.

By: Deb Thu, 08 Nov 2012 03:20:08 +0000 I’m not sure but is it not a requirement that a person has a master’s level degree to legally practice as an art therapist in the United Kingdom? Does anyone know information that contradicts that. Since that is a regulated health profession, I thought that the minimum requirements for licensure were set by the HCPC.

By: Deb Thu, 08 Nov 2012 03:20:08 +0000 I’m not sure but is it not a requirement that a person has a master’s level degree to legally practice as an art therapist in the United Kingdom? Does anyone know information that contradicts that. Since that is a regulated health profession, I thought that the minimum requirements for licensure were set by the HCPC.

By: ana Sat, 18 Aug 2012 14:40:52 +0000 Hello,i have seen that youare asking for some advice in art therapy courses in netherlands,i was wondering if you had found any info so far,will be awsome to know it 😉

Thanks a lot


By: rhea Sat, 04 Aug 2012 14:35:41 +0000 Hello,

i am trying to find any english taught art therapy Bachelors in the Netherlands. If you got any info on that i would be grateful because so far i only find dutch taught bachelors. I also wanted to ask if attending art therapy workshops actually qualifies for getting a degree in art therapy. My issue is working on the subject afterwards and the problems i might meet if i lack a university degree.

Thank you!

By: Vara Tue, 17 Jul 2012 00:29:34 +0000 ooops…apologies..meant “college” 🙂

By: Vara Tue, 17 Jul 2012 00:28:48 +0000 Hi,

The Whitecliffe Coolege of Arts & Design offers a Masters in Art Therapy.

Check it out :

Cheers and all the best 🙂

By: pat england Mon, 02 Jul 2012 15:41:00 +0000 I live in Northern Ireland and would appreciate any information regarding Art Therapy courses there.I am a Registered Nurse and wondered if my experience and qualifications would reduce study time

By: Chris Tue, 26 Jun 2012 01:44:23 +0000 Hi Choosing what and where to study is a personal choice

In my opinion and only my opinion, I would expect the universities to provide the best quality AT courses within the uk ‘would’ be the 4 universities at which AT accreditation courses were first offered.

I’d expect they have continuously developed their wealth of Knowledge, practices, theories, resources, connections ect; the original 4 unis being-
London goldsmiths, Edinburgh, Sheffield, derby,

-the art therapy course offered at Chester university is relatively new to Chester. However it is an officially recognised AT course.

As an alternative, University central Lancashire runs a MA in art health, this does not result in BAAT AT qualification, it has the possibly of leading to employment in –

Inter-agency Training Managers for criminal justice, health, and social services.
Arts-Health Officers.
Arts-Health Consultants.
Community Managers.
Specialist Teachers.
Project Managers.
Workshop Facilitators: ((ie in music, drama, visual arts, sensory arts, video, animation etc) for example working with disabled children, learning disabled adults, or with homeless people, etc.)
Lead Artists: commercial arts with mental health patients.
Community Artists: participatory arts with young offenders.
University Lecturers.
Postdoctoral Researchers.

Good luck to everyone

By: L Sun, 24 Jun 2012 16:11:18 +0000 Yet another South African here interested in Art Therapy.

Of the 10 accredited schools in the UK could anyone advise one in particular that stands out above the rest? Or advise from personal experience about a course they are on?

The 10 schools are

Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education (IATE)

If anyone could share their experiences or opinions I would greatly appreciate it.


By: marily Sat, 16 Jun 2012 16:14:57 +0000 Hello,I’m looking for a online master in art psychotherapy from anywhere in the world,as long as it is accredited.
Do you know if there is any art therapy masters degree that is distance learning?

Thank you!

By: Hannah Rapp Wed, 13 Jun 2012 02:44:55 +0000 Hi all! I am in my last semester of undergrad and am thinking of where to get a masters in art/expressive therapy. I am from the states but I have an open mind to studying anywhere (preferably in europe with an english-speaking program). However, I was not sure if I needed a certification from the states or if I could work anywhere around the world even if I graduate from a european university. I hope that makes sense. Please help!
All best

By: Monica Becerra Sun, 27 May 2012 21:35:56 +0000 I’ll be getting my AA next year in June!

By: Monica Becerra Sun, 27 May 2012 21:34:59 +0000 I really want to be a clinical art therapist. I am currently finishing up my general ed at Riverside City College in California and taking core classes for Studio Art and Psychology. Is there classes I need to complete before transferring to any of the universities mentioned above? Also, when can I start applying?

By: Sharon Lee Thu, 24 May 2012 14:17:51 +0000 Hey

Im a Singaporean and I will be graduating next year with a Bachelor of Science in Business. Im planning to take up a Masters in Art Therapy after i graduate and i want to do it in Europe, preferrably in Paris. Can someone please advise me on the available graduate schools and the prerequisities? Thanks!

By: Nicole Thu, 24 May 2012 05:32:23 +0000 Hello,
I m looking for online courses in art therapy in uk.i live in dubai .i contacted several universities but no online courses so far. Could anyone help me .

By: T Sat, 12 May 2012 22:23:49 +0000 Hey,

I’m looking to study Art (Drama) therapy in Ireland or Scotland ? I’ve seen Master of Art/Post graduate (approx. 2 years) in these countries but not Bachelor of Art/Graduate (approx. 4years) courses unfortunately. Does somebody else have more information on these or can proof my research wrong?????
Much appreciated!

By: angie Thu, 10 May 2012 22:48:51 +0000 hi,
i am a psychologist in greece and i m interested in studying a master of art you know any distant ,online graduate programme in europe?i dont manage to find any..

By: Gwen Wed, 02 May 2012 17:15:50 +0000 Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh EH21 6UU – Tel: +44 (0)131 474 0000

Art Psychotherapy
Art Therapy involves the use of art materials for self-expression and reflection in the presence of a State Registered Art Therapist. Previous experience and/or skill in art is not required as the overall aim of Art Therapy is to enable a client to effect change and growth on a personal level through the use of art materials in a safe and facilitating environment. Art Therapy offers an opportunity for expression and communication and can be particularly helpful to people who find it hard to express their thoughts and feelings verbally.

MSc Art Psychotherapy (International)
Queen Margaret University offers an MSc Art Psychotherapy (International) pre-registration programme which requires students to undertake practice based placements.

How to contact us:
All enquiries in the first instance should be directed to Xanthe Duncan via email
More Information
• General Resource Links
• MSc Art Psychotherapy
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh EH21 6UU – Tel: +44 (0)131 474 0000

By: Mohamed Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:58:27 +0000 Again, a South African in possession of an MA -Art History & Aesthetics Degree, with 25 years of local and international Art teaching experience, desperately searching for any recommended MA or Post MA Degree course in Art Therapy, preferably a long distance/correspondence programme. Recommended universities -Study Fees and Scholarship details would be appreciated.

Any help would be appreciated

By: jaletta Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:10:53 +0000 HEhehe,

Guess what. Another South African. I have honours in BA theatre Studies and an Undergrad in Phi which will assist me greatly. I however would be willing to move to the UK/states or Europe to do this degree. However I would need financial support.
Does anyone know of where and how I can apply as a foreign student needing funding.

I feel I may prefer Europe but if those already studying can give use a little feed back on how they experiencing the degree so we can get an idea of what the places are like.


By: Saemi Wed, 22 Feb 2012 07:51:00 +0000 Here is an information page of

Universite Sorbonne Nouvelle Paris 3, Master Program in Art Therapy

By: eftichia Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:07:26 +0000 hi,
i have a degree in applied mathematics with a direction in education and i am very interested in art therapy and especially art therapy for children!
I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I would love to take some master-courses-workshop-seminar in London or Berlin!!
thank you

By: Laurianne Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:59:06 +0000 Hi
I’ve noticed a number of South African’s are interested in doing DMT through distance learning,this is also an area of interest for me. Has anyone heard anything yet, or of courses that can be done in South Africa?

I can’t find anything on the internet regarding distance learning.

By: Rona Mon, 09 Jan 2012 21:52:01 +0000 Well I’m surprised to see how many South Africans are wanting to qualify as Art Therapists, and still no luck?? I’ve been spending hours on the internet searching for anything helpful, please let us know if someone has found any way of qualifying at all!!

By: Sonya rademeyer Mon, 02 Jan 2012 14:37:38 +0000 Hi, ANOTHER South African looking to pursue art therapy via distant-learning! Perhaps its the trauma we’re surrounded by daily..

Just wondering if Dyanne (or any other South Africans) have managed to access something. Please let me know??